The Maitland Public Library started in 1896. The historic building was originally constructed in 1907 and expanded several times to accommodate growth of the community and library programs.
The beloved library facility now is cramped for many activities. Needed improvements would reduce interior space, and outside, the property cannot accommodate further expansion.
The City of Maitland took a hard look at library's future in 2018 with a comprehensive study of the building. Results showed that repairs and improvements would be costly while also reducing room for library activities.
A better option, city officials decided, was to explore constructing a new library while renovating the longtime building for another use. In 2019, the City Council began considerations of locations for a new library facility.
Quinn Strong Park was chosen for the new library in 2020 - a location next to the existing library building and the Art & History Museums. Ohio-based HBM Architecture and Interior Design was chosen to assist with the project, which would require extensive research, design and public engagement.
In 2023, Maitland hosted several public meetings, focus group discussions and an online survey to gather community input. Information was used to create two library design proposals, which Council Members and residents favored a mid-century modern look at best complements architecture from around Maitland.
Financial planning requires use of existing city funds and $14 million in public bond financing to be decided by city voters on the March 19, 2024, Florida Presidential Preference Primary election ballots.
This page includes various reports, images and other information detailing Maitland's journey to plan for the future of its library.
The Maitland Public Library started in 1896 when Clara Dommerich donated 360 books, which were initially placed in the home living room of a local teacher and then relocated to an empty storefront on Horatio Avenue. More books were donated by residents who spent their winters in Maitland.
In 1907 the Maitland Library Association was created to build a dedicated library at its existing location on South Maitland Ave.
The city provided the land, and architect Charles Waterhouse provided his own services. Contributions of about $6,000 helped to build the library later that year. The library incorporated as a non-profit in 1930.
Additions were made in 1959, 1972, and 1989. Today, the collection exceeds 96,000 items, including nearly 29,000 downloadable books and audio books.